vendredi 24 juin 2011

Racism at Wimbledon? Serena Williams Accuses All England Club of Racism over 'Exile' from Center Court

Black tennis great Serena Williams accused All England Club of racism for continually being denied playing time on the prestigious center court during Wimbledon.

Racism at Wimbledon? No! Serena Williams, the reigning women's champion, is ticked off that she is stuck playing on a small show court and not center court. This court seats about 4,000 people, nearly 10,000 fewer than the prestigious Center Court, the Telegraph said.
“Yeah, they’re never moved across,” Serena said. “They like to put us on Court 2, me and Venus, for whatever reason. I haven’t figured it out yet. Maybe one day we’ll figure it out. Actually, Venus and I have won more Wimbledons together than a lot of the players, or by ourselves in doubles even. So, you know, I don’t know.

“They’re not going to change, doesn’t look like. I never have too much time to warm up. I look at that as some kind of warm-up, trying to walk out there. I’m like, well, OK, this gets my legs moving. I think at some point I should [make it an issue]. I just really try not to focus on going down on Court 2.”

Williams and Romania’s Simona Halep had to fight their way through a throng of people crowding to see action on the outside courts as well as catch a glimpse of the players themselves as they passed through on their 400-meter walk. Source: Telegraph
Is this much ado about nothing from Serena or does she have a valid point? I haven't tuned in to the competition this year, mainly because of having a busy schedule, but one what the rationale is behind the scheduling at Wimbledon and why Serena and sister Venus Williams are always banished to Court 2.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire