lundi 27 juin 2011

The Chris Brown Show, BET Continues to be on the Wrong Side of Integrity, Coddling Homophobic & Abusive Singer

I among many other African-Americans watched the BET Awards Show Sunday. It was interesting to watch various performers entertain us with their talent. I must confess, I became hesitant to believe in the integrity of the judges who decide the winners as Chris Brown emerged the winner in every category he was nominated.

Call it good luck or a comeback. I choose to call it a non-factor. The issue is Chris Brown has demonstrated scant regard for his violent and abusive tendencies. Recently on a "Good Morning America" segment, he threw a chair through a window. He was rewarded for his bad behavior by appearances on other TV shows. How much longer as a community are we going to continue rewarding abusive men? Some two years ago he was convicted of domestic assault on his then girlfriend, Rihanna. I, myself have survived an abusive relationship. I am intimately familiar with the signs of abuse.

It’s fairly predictable that it’s only a matter of time before he hits someone again. Why did the BET Awards place such an emphasis on his less than stellar achievements? In doing so what they have done is to call into discredit the achievements of others who have gone before and who have paved the way for people like Chris Brown to come forward. It’s a shame to have turned the BET 2011 Awards Show into the Chris Brown Show. In light of his violent tendencies he hasn’t’ been a shining example of black manhood. Unless I get this wrong, black men do want the society to perceive them as non-violent. Help me out here.

If non-violent black men want to change the society’s’ perception then it’s time to stop supporting men who continue to use their wives and girlfriends, sisters, and daughters as battering ram and receptacles for their expression of anger. How can we expect the wider society to believe that we are interested in progress and non-violent approaches to conflict resolution if we continue to exalt persons who exhibit anger and violence as a method of communication?

I am not averse to individuals being given a second chance. I myself have been given many second chances. The fact that I can write this today is proof of the many changes I have been given. I am deeply appreciative of living the life I now live, one outside of violence. I wish that all women and children and men will experience that too. The society as a whole doles out second chances to individuals to ensure their return to normalcy. I believe in this regard, entertainer Lil Wayne has benefited to some degree. I was distressed to see him using his underwear as outerwear and choosing to using the flag as coverage for his nether parts. Something has got to give. This kind of self-destructive behavior needs to be addressed. It was the host Kevin Hart who at to the beginning of the show says entertainers are surrounded by ‘yes’ men. He called for a time of ‘no’ men. Those who call a spade a spade.

The next time someone seeks to change our perception of who we are, I believe we would want that to be good. If I may point out, the whole crux of the Civil Rights Movement was a non-violent approach to solving the issues of that time.

Now, we are standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before, who laid their lives down that we might experience our heyday and appreciation for our talents. At some point someone has to stand up and say enough is enough. We are not proud of your activities on and off the stage. Once you take the stage in any field, you have now become a role model for others to look up to. I hesitate to think that the well meaning persons in Chris Brown’s circle have no appreciation for the impact his behavior has on others. It would be remiss of them to underestimate the power of suggestion. By giving him more and more access to media, you are further enhancing his image of being a bad boy, that it is okay to be bad, in fact here is a trophy in recognition of your activity.

I am disappointed in BET. I would have thought they would have placed any necessary recognition on Chris in a muted way. I did not expect this show to honor performers and entertainers, turned out to be designed as an expose or a comeback. The wider society now thinks African Americans celebrate violent and abusive actions perpetrated by men on their intimate partners. The Chris Brown Show? Yes it was, the message was clear it wasn’t about celebrating achievement. It was about an in your face attitude that violence against women is okay.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire