vendredi 24 juin 2011

Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy Says Federal Gun Laws "Akin to Government-Sponsored Racism"

Chicago top cop Garry McCarthy told parishioners at St. Sabina’s Church that federal gun laws are akin to “government-sponsored racism.”

Chicago police superintendent Garry McCarthy recently told parishioners at St. Sabina's Church that federal gun laws are comparable to "government-sponsored racism."
“I want you to connect one more dot on that chain of African-American history in this country, and tell me if I’m crazy: Federal gun laws that facilitate the flow of illegal firearms into our urban centers, across this country, that are killing black and brown children,” he said according to an WMAQ-Channel 5 story that aired Thursday.

McCarthy told parishioners an anecdote about a brutal night of killings in Newark, N.J., where he was previously head of the police department. McCarthy said that after he got home that night, he turn on the TV to relax, and tuned in to Sarah Palin’s Alaska.m “She was caribou-hunting and talking about the right to bear arms,” McCarthy said. “Why wasn’t she at the crime scene with me?” McCarthy also told parishioners that “everybody is afraid of race. I’m not afraid of race.” Source: Chicago Sun Times
Well, I can't fault him for being blatantly honest in his position. I'm not a cop nor do I work in law enforcement, so I couldn't begin to understand what they deal with on a daily basis, but I do know something drastic has to be done about gun violence in this country. Black-on-black crime is an enormous problem and shouldn't be swept under a rug. On the flip side, I do believe in personal responsibility. Those young men, whether they are black, white or Hispanic, make a conscious decision to engage in criminal behavior when they fire their weapons at other people. The government didn't tell them to do that. They made the choice and should live with the consequences.

Watch Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy compare gun laws to "racism":

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire