mercredi 29 juin 2011

Underwear- What Does It Say About You?

It’s been many years since we have seen a growing trend among young people to display their underwear. We adults of a certain generation find it offensive to identify areas of one’s anatomy by the garment that covers it. In the eighties, a well known pop star first wore a bustier and created a world- wide phenomenon in the first public viewing of underwear as outerwear. That was sometime ago. In recent times we have seen young urban African-American males with their pants sagging below what is deemed appropriate to wear in public.

As part of my observation on cultural trends, it is hard not to accept the influence pop stars, musicians and actors have on impressionable minds. With the current spate in or society of children raising children, we have become deficient in the teaching of morals to our offspring. I have often said that parenting is the first frontier in the defense of the home and the values taught to the next generation.

But what about the responsibility pop stars, entertainers and athletes have to the people who support their work, buy their products, CDs and watch their movies? It’s one thing to say parents should control and monitor what their children access in media. I agree. In my household, I am the role model and the lead influencer and certainly the decision maker on what is good and acceptable for my children.

I do not allow my children to be influenced by someone whose value system I don’t know about. It’s hard to imagine that someone else outside of my sphere of influence could affect my children’s views and outlook on life. It just doesn’t happen. This to me is where all parents should strive to be.

I recognize the gap that exists between parenting, work and the balance that should be created to avoid too much access to media and third party influence on children. Take for instance the recent BET Awards. The entertainer Lil Wayne who was recently released from prison for drugs and weapons possessions (I shudder to think) wore his underwear as outerwear in his performance. I was disgusted at his complete lack of modesty and the desecration of the flag worn on his posterior.

What kind of society are we creating in which the flag is reduced to being your underwear? Now tell me why my children should take my hard earned money to purchase one of his CDs. Not in my household, and definitely not my money. This is how all parents should be. All of us must make every effort to teach our children what is right and what is wrong, what the society expects, and how to conduct themselves while bearing in mind how their actions are interpreted by others.

I find it grossly irresponsible of athletes and entertainers to disregard the influence they have on youth, while at the same time holding their hands out to take your money. I am calling for a time out on bad behavior. It is time out for me viewing your underwear as you walk through Malls, parking lots, movie cinemas and other public places. When I was growing up, we were taught to take pride in our appearance. We were told to always put your best foot forward you only get one chance to make a good impression. We need to start holding our sons and daughters accountable for how they present themselves in public. By no stretch of the imagination am I a prude. But I err on the side of good taste. I really don’t want to see your underwear in public.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire