lundi 27 juin 2011

NY Sportswriter Mike Lupica Thrashes Black Former NFL-Star David Tyree, Calling him "Brainless" for Stance on Gay Marriage

NY Daily News sportswriter Mike Lupica attacks black former NFL-star David Tyree as "playing without a helmet" or brainless in his opposition to gay marriage.

By now you have heard gay marriage is now legal in New York state. Well, that's barring any delays due to lawsuits beyond the 30 day limit after Gov. Andrew Cuomo signing it into law. Personally, I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman, but I am all for civil unions for the LGBT community. I believe marriage is a religious rite that comes under the church. On that basis, a pastor or priest shouldn't be forced to marry a same sex couple. Viewed as a civil rite handled by city hall or a justice of the peace, then I am all for gay marriage. Would I go out of my way to stop gays and lesbians from getting married? No, but I wouldn't vote for it on any ballot. Sorry. That's coming from my Christian beliefs and no, this isn't similar to the civil rights movement that came out of overt racism towards blacks. I do find it very hypocritical for New York Daily News sports writer Mike Lupica to call a black former NFL star, David Tyree, brainless, for taking a position against gay marriage. I thought this country afforded us the right to freedom of speech under the U.S. Constitution. In fact, it was insulting for Lupica to mock Tyree for sounding like he was playing without a helmet. In other words, brain damaged and yes, stupid:
On the sports pages we get the ex-Giant, David Tyree, who once made the greatest catch in Super Bowl history pressing a ball against his helmet one night against the Patriots in Glendale, Ariz. and now sounds as if he might have occasionally played without one. A helmet. And this isn't because Tyree says he would give up his Super Bowl win to prevent gay marriage from becoming the law in New York.

Tyree makes a video for the National Organization for Marriage that says gay marriage would lead to "anarchy." Sure it would. Having these gays be officially married in the state of New York would bring on fabulous rioting in the streets, along with making them a threat to Catholics. Of course. Like they are Al Qaeda operatives on Christopher Street. Source: NY Daily News
While I don't agree that gay marriage will lead to anarchy in the streets, I do defend David Tyree's right to his opinion. Never mind the fact that, when asked by ESPN.com, Tyree said his use of the word "anarchy" was about the eroding of the "moral fabric of our country." Rush Limbaugh has been calling President Barack Obama a myriad of "ugly" names and none of his bosses have stepped in to condemn his ridiculous name-calling. The latest was calling Obama Adolf Hitler, a man who led the charge to wipe out Jews from Europe. I am all for equality for the LGBT community, but don't ask me to compromise my religious beliefs. Let me be clear, I believe gay marriage should be handled on a state level and if the lawmakers vote to legalize it in their state, then so be it. I have always voted for candidates who best personify my views. The same holds true for other issues that pop up on ballots. If a court of law gives gays and lesbians the right to marry, then I don't have a bone in that dogfight either. But if it shows up on a ballot in my state, then I will vote as I have always voted, for the candidates and issues that best meet my needs and beliefs.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire