lundi 19 juillet 2010

Shirley Sherrod, Dept. of Agriculture Official, Resigns After Admitting to Racist Act at NAACP Event

Shirley Sherrod fired by Dept. of Agriculture after she is heard in video at NAACP event saying she didn't help a white farmer as she should have, in a racist act.

The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is literally red-faced with the latest revelation that members of the organization yukked it up when Shirley Sherrod, former Agriculture Department's Georgia director of Rural Development, was caught on video describing "the first time I was faced with having to help a white farmer save his farm," according to Fox News. I knew that there would be a scavenger hunt to find acts of racism against the NAACP in an attempt to embarrass the group and it is ironic that Andrew Breitbart and his Big Government website are behind this revelation. Ms. Sherrod has been forced to resign as a result of the video. Still, I find her comments in poor taste and quite frankly, racist.

Shirley Sherrod, the department's Georgia director of Rural Development, is shown in the clip describing Sherrod, who is black, claimed the farmer took a long time trying to show he was "superior" to her. The audience laughed as she described how she determined his fate.

"He had to come to me for help. What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," she said. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people have lost their farmland and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land -- so I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough." Source
We all know that this was how blacks were treated during the darkest period in America's history, but times have changed and not every white person is a racist. Shirley Sherrod's actions is a disgrace and I am glad she was fired. Let's now hope her termination comes without the security of a golden parachute. I am waiting for Ben Jealous to come out and repudiate her racist actions and to chide those NAACP members who sat there and laughed instead of decrying her actions. So far the organization has been mum.

UPDATE1#: Andrew Breitbart is a POS if he deliberately doctored the video. Ms. Sherrod is fighting for her reputation and said the incident she spoke about occurred 24 years ago before she started working for the USDA. She said the incident occurred when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund. Why the White House is involved in her resignation is beyond me. The NAACP has now said they have launched an investigation into the matter. This shows that they have, once again, used poor judgment in their actions. Act first, ask later. Bad. 


UPDATE#2: I would personally like to offer Mrs. Sherrod my sympathies for the hot mess she is living caused by Internet Andrew Breitbart and Fox News. On first glance, I was appalled at the thought that anyone could have uttered such racist comments. This matter deserves a full investigation by the USDA and the NAACP. If the this was a dirty and deliberate smear against Mrs. Sherrod by Andrew Breitbart and Fox News, then she should sue the USDA for wrongful termination and Andrew Breitbart and Fox News for defamation of character.

Watch the video:

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire