mardi 29 juin 2010

10 Yr Old Georgia Girl Found Pregnant, Two Male Relatives in Custody on Sexual Assault, Sodomy Charges

I first read this article this morning, and I must say that I found it incredulous. My first thoughts were this could not be happening. But as I gathered and collected myself, I began to wonder how does she feel. According to reports, the abuse began some time ago. Imagine how she must have felt as the society continued to exist whilst she lived in a world where violence was perpetrated against her defenseless, ten-year-old body! Imagine, if you will, how she watches tv and sees other children her age, functioning in what appears to be normal environments. While nothing in her world was normal.

The question one would ask, is who in their right mind would continually over time violate a ten year old person? Much like some of you, we have small children. I have an eight year old daughter, and since this morning, my world hasn't been the same. From time to time, my thouhgts flash to her to try to get a sense of what she must think of the rest of us, as she imagines no one came to her aid.

My heart is heavy, but as much as I feel saddened, children like her continue to motivate me to give voice to their helplessness. I want each and every one of you reading this to become more aware of the systemic violence that takes place in our homes. Once again I reiterate, that violence against women and children must stop.

I ask you to take a look around your surroundings. If you suspect violence is happening, report it to the National Domestic Violence hotline. Each of us is responsible for what happens to helpless children. This young girl is scarred for the rest of her life due to domestic abuse. We need not shy away from it. The fact is that when she was touched inappropriately by family members she became violated.

As we search for answers, one thing becomes apparent. That family needs counseling. Violence begets violence. The aunt in whose care this ten year old was left has been accused of having incestuous relations with her nephews. The same nephews who raped their younger relative. So the cycle of abuse continued from one generation to the next. Pray for them. They all need our prayers. Pray for this young girl. My heart is broken. I want to reach out to her and tell her it is going to be all right. At some point we must realize that we are each our brother's keeper. We need to live out the concept that each one, teach one, each one reach one, each one, need one.

There is an old African proverb which says, it takes a village to raise a child. I want to ask where was the village around this child? Where were the other family members while this was going on? Did no one observe that she was withdrawn? Make sure that you create a village of caregivers, family members and friends around your children. It takes all of us to keep our children safe. We must stop the violence against women and children.

Harriet Cammock is an author and the host of the weekly radio talk show "The Faith Hour." You can obtain more information about Harriet and speaking engagements through her website: www.harrietcammock.org.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire