mardi 14 décembre 2010

Duncan Hines Under Fire for "Racist" Hip Hop Commercial with Cupcakes Featured with Big Lips & Eyes

Duncan Hines under fire for racist YouTube commercial with cupcakes featured with exaggerated lips and eyes under the title "Hip Hop Cupcakes."

Duncan Hines marketing executives made a colossal mistake with their latest commercial for their "Amazing Glazes" frosting line released on YouTube, featuring chocolate-frosted cupcakes singing with a harmony with the title "Hip Hop."  What more despicable is the cupcakes featured exaggerated lips and eyes. Yeah, they're trying to portray us as coons again.
In a press release, the company said it wanted to inspire creativity in its new commercial.

"I wanted to create an entertaining and engaging way to show bakers that this glaze makes everything you top taste better and more exciting," the commercial's director Josh Binder said in a statement released by the company when the controversial ads were launched. Source: NY Daily News
You see, Aunt Jemima pancakes represented a dark period in America's history, where blacks were denigrated for no other reason but the color of their skin. I can't bring myself to buy Aunt Jemima pancakes or pancake mix or syrup for my kids. Besides, corn syrup is bad for you. I digress. I never purchased Duncan Hines products and I certainly encourage others to think twice about that. Hip Hop cupcakes? Give me a break. What else will marketers come up with?

Photo credit:  NY Daily News

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire