samedi 21 mai 2011

Reinforcing Negative Stereotypes About Black Women on Rise Since Michelle Obama Became 1st Black First Lady of U.S.

Attacks on black women and their self-worth on the rise since Michelle Obama became the first black First Lady in U.S. history.

I came across an interesting article in Clutch Magazine, entitled "The Rising Attacks on Black Women Since the Presence of Michelle Obama," makes the argument that defying Mrs. Obama's image by reinforcing all the negative stereotypes about black women. It is so easy for the critics and naysayers to throw educated black women under the bus for reasons unknown to all rational people. I have been attacked on numerous websites, including my own, and called all manner of names for my political views, though I am an educated and professional black woman. I have been called a liberalwelfare recipient, a breeder, single parent, racist, affirmative action baby, black liberation theory sympathizer, etc. All untrue. That's just because I have taken a position to defend President and Mrs. Obama on issues that have to do with race. I am more of a moderate, a centrist, if you will. It's sad because I have never been on welfare nor am I a breeder. I have been married for 17 years and have two children. I don't consider myself an affirmative action baby, since I never checked the box disclosing my race on any college applications, both undergraduate and graduate schools, nor have I done than on employment applications. But we must revisit the reason why affirmative action came into being in the first place, but that's for another blog post.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire