jeudi 24 février 2011

Nick Jonas, Sheryl Crow & Natasha Bedingfield With No Connection to Motown to Perform at White House Black History Bash

White House chooses three white singers Nick Jonas, Sheryl Crow & Natasha Bedingfield, with no connection to Motown, to perform at Black History bash.

President Barack Obama will be hosting an event -- "The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House" -- for Black History Month, but I am left scratching my head at some of the performers. Er, when I think Motown, teen idol Nick Jonas, Sheryl Crow and Natasha Bedingfield, who are all white, don't exactly come to mind. Let me also add all three are supporters of the Obamas. Nothing wrong with that, but there are other singers who would represent the Motown sound far better, in my opinion -- Roberta Flack, Bonnie Raitt, Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Patti Labelle, Diana Ross, Gladys Knight, Alicia Keys, etc.

Well, I guess you have to look out for your supporters, even if it makes little sense to have them trying to imitate the sound of a musical movement that changed the American landscape and gave us Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson, to name a few. I might also add the trio I just mentioned is still alive and would have been far more credible than the sounds of Nick Jonas, Sheryl Crow and Natasha Bedingfield and even Seal, for crying out loud. I guess we should take some comfort in the fact that John Legend will be performing.

I must admit that I am very disappointed that President Obama and/or his handlers don't seem to get the message, in terms of honoring Motown. Natasha Bedingfield, a white British chart topper has absolutely no connection whatsoever to Motown, but I guess since she's a big supporter of the president, that counts for something. Just not in my book.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire