jeudi 10 février 2011

Does North Point Community Church Have a Diversity Issue?

Does North Point Community Church have a diversity issue, since black choir performed at "Let's Move" campaign function where First Lady Michelle Obama gave speech?

I blogged about First Lady Michelle Obama coming to my church, North Point Community Church, Wednesday to deliver a message on the anniversary of her "Let's Move" campaign to stop childhood obesity. I watched the program live on UStream and I made some observations. NPCC is a predominantly white church located in an affluent town -- Alpharetta. I was amazed to see a black choir as part of the program. The choir came from Ray of Hope Church in Decatur, Ga., and pastored by Dr. Cynthia Hale. Why did they feel the need to have a black choir perform, since we don't have a choir at North Point? Whose idea was that? Mrs. Obama or did Pastor Hale request that her choir perform since she was going to introduce the First Lady?

Here's another observation -- the audience was predominantly black. Yeah, I haven't seen this many black people congregate at North Point in the two years I have been a member. Don't get me wrong, I like the church a lot and Andy Stanley is one of the best pastors around, but they have a diversity issue. I have yet to see a black singer or band member grace either the East or West Auditoriums regularly on Sundays nor have I seen a black pastor on staff as well.

From the long lines outside the church waiting to hear the speech, 90% were black. That seems like racial polarization to me. I will concede one point, Wednesday was a regular work-day for many, so that could be one reason why many people from other ethnicities didn't attend. Still I have to ask, does North Point Community Church have a diversity issue and if so, why? Seems to me Andy Stanley and his team are busy building physical bridges but have neglected to build a bridge to heal the racial divide and foster a spirit of inclusivity in its leadership ranks. I would also like to see some diversity in its band and singers as well. Some of the songs they sing are just awful.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire