lundi 11 avril 2011

Another Jamaican National, Donna Benjamin-McLean, Alleges Abuse at Airport in Barbados

Jamaican national Donna Benjamin-McLean has come forward accusing authorities at Grantley Adams International Airport in Bridgetown, Barbados. The only hitch is that she alleged the abuse occurred in September 2004 but decided to come forward after hearing about what happened to fellow Jamaican Shanique Myrie, who recently complained of being finger-raped and deported from Barbados.
Benjamin-McLean said she was plucked from the immigration line upon her arrival in the eastern Caribbean island and subjected to demeaning treatment after she was accused of smuggling drugs.

"They had my luggage on the counter all opened, they searched and found nothing. Then two women took me into a room and said I should strip. I took my clothes off, leaving my panties and they said 'take the panty off'. So I said, 'I can't because I am seeing my menstruation' and they said 'drop off the pad'â so I dropped it off," a distraught Benjamin-McLean said.

She also said that the Barbadian authorities put her through even further humiliation. "They told me to hold my two hands out and squat, like bend down and jerk myself. I did, so they took me to the police station and questioned me," she said.

Then, she said she told the cop that she needed to urinate. "A policewoman followed me to the bathroom and watched me as I urinated. She bent and was looking up to see what was coming out of me," she said, adding that afterwards the cops informed her that she would be taken to hospital to be flushed out. Source: Jamaica Observer
I agree with this victim that the Barbadian authorities should know what's going on. I am sure there are more victims with similar stories and this is a black mark on the island.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire