mardi 28 avril 2009

Senator Arlen Spector, Longtime GOP Member is now a Democrat

Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Spector has announced today that he is switching to the Democratic Party. This move will give the Democratic Party the 60 seat filibuster majority needed in Congress pending Al Franken wins the disputed Senate race in Minnesota.



"Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right," Specter said in a statement posted by his office on PoliticsPA.com.
"Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans." Cnn.com





I can only imagine what the right wing conservatives are saying about this move. I know Rush and Hannity will have a field day with this one. I think that it is good in American politics where a politician can freely change political parties. It shows a lot about our democracy here in the US. Yet, I have to mention a concern when it comes to the Democratic party having a majority filibuster. I think it is dangerous for any party to have that much power. The checks and balances throughout the political party system is what has kept this country on track thus far. One party having complete control can be dangerous along with scary.


I'm sure Specter has a personal agenda behind the whole thing. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire