lundi 23 mars 2009

Maya Williams Wins Miss Black New Jersey Pageant, Why Do We Need Black Beauty Pageants?

Could someone tell me why we still have a Miss Black USA pageant and a Miss Black New Jersey pageant? What if there were a Miss White USA pageant and a Miss White New Jersey pageant? Would the NAACP and others protest? Apparently, Maya Williams is the latest winner. She said that she was searching the web for information on college scholarships and came across the Miss Black New Jersey Foundation website, which was soliciting applicants for a contest; the winner of that would go on to compete in the Miss Black USA pageant. The national winner would receive an academic scholarship in addition to other prizes and opportunities.

“It's a dream for me to be a part of this,” she said. “I feel blessed and honored, and I'm going to represent the state to the best of my ability.”

Williams, 19, is a sophomore at Spelman College in Atlanta, where she is majoring in economics and minoring in management and organization, as well as dance. “I have so many dreams,” she said about her future. “I want to own a dance studio, work in the entertainment industry in music or movies, work for a Gospel music channel, go to school for my M.B.A., get a Ph.D. in dance and promote good messages in the media.” Source: My Central Jersey

I am sure that she is a smart young lady and I don't blame her for trying to get scholarship funds for higher education. The problem I have is that these pageants are passe. We don't need a "Black Miss USA" or a "White Miss USA." Why not be satisfied with just a "Miss USA Pageant" as we currently have now?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire