lundi 20 juillet 2009

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) Apologizes for Using the N-Word in Interview to Smear Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) should be run out of Washington D.C. and kicked out of office by her constituents. She apologized earlier today for using the word "nigger" in a recent interview while recounting a telephone call she received. She's is challenging Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand for the 2010 Democratic Senate nomination in New York and used the racial slur in an interview with the web site City Hall while taking a cheap shot at Ms. Gillibrand's record.
"I got a call from someone from Puerto Rico, said [Gillibrand] went to Puerto Rico and came out for English-only [education]. And he said, 'It was like saying nigger to a Puerto Rican,'" Maloney said. "I don't know-I don't know if that's true or not. I just called. I'm just throwing that out. All of her-well, what does she stand for?" Source: CNN
So, when Ms. Maloney realized that she was about to be raked over hot coals, she opted to issue an apology. Hey, my late maternal grandmother had some real gems and one is appropriate to this situation and it has its roots in the Bible -- "as a man thinketh, so is he." Ms. Maloney must have uttered this word before and that was a part of her vocabulary. This is nothing new. The real Carolyn Maloney manifested herself in this interview. Now she issued a lame apology that shouldn't be accepted by her constituents.
"I apologize for having repeated a word I find disgusting," Maloney said in a statement. "It's no excuse but I was so caught up in relaying the story exactly as it was told to me that, in doing so, I repeated a word that should never be repeated." Source: CNN
The controversy comes the same day Maloney is set to hold a big-ticket fundraiser that includes an appearance from former President Bill Clinton. Clinton has also attended a fundraiser for Gillibrand. The people of New York ought to send Ms. Maloney a message that there is no room in elected office for such divisive and derogatory language.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire