jeudi 13 novembre 2008

John Petrik Resists Rescue From his Burning Home to Save his Dog Regis


John Petrik, 68, gave his life to save his dog, Regis. He did not leave the home until he was sure his dog was safe. However, his decision ended tragically. He died shortly after being rescued from his home.
"He was a shy man -- very quiet, very private. But he was very attached to that dog. He loved that dog," said Dr. Cesar Agustin, the Oak Park veterinarian who provided medical care to Regis. Source: Chicago Sun Times


Well, I can fully understand his devotion to his pet. It reminds me of residents of New Orleans who refused to leave their homes without their pets, even as the flood waters rose to their roofs.

Petrik was home when the fire erupted about 1:20 a.m., but he wouldn't leave when Cicero firefighters arrived and at one point tried to hold a door closed to keep firefighters from rescuing him, said town spokesman Dan Proft. "He refused to leave the house. Our belief is he wanted to get the dog and take the dog out before he would leave," Proft said.

He was removed from the home, then placed in a Cicero police car, where he suffered some type of medical problem -- possibly a heart attack, Proft said. Petrik was pronounced dead at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn. An autopsy showed he died of smoke and soot inhalation, as well as cardiovascular disease, officials said.

I hope the dog will find a good home. But many will say that this man acted recklessly, but the dog was his life and I can't say I blame him for what he did. I love my dog and I love my children. I could not to walk away knowing they were in harm's way. Somehow I understand why he did it. What say you?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire