dimanche 16 novembre 2008

Is 16 old enough to decide you're ready to die?

Josie Grove with her baby brother, Charlie, and mother Jacqui, two months before the teenager died

When someone is terminally ill with cancer, it's always a difficult decision for the person and their family to decide when enough is enough. So what happens when the terminally ill person is only 16 years old?
Last February Josie Grove, 16, died after her parents backed her decision to forgo painful treatment for leukaemia. Her mother, Jacqui, talks to Olga Craig about her death, and applauds the bravery of 'right-to-die' teenager Hannah Jones. [...]

One quiet comment from her dying daughter banished those thoughts. ''Mum, I just wish people would stop trying to save me,'' Josie told her. ''I know they mean well, I know they are praying for me. But I just want to spend the time left with my family. Build up some memories for me and for you. I want to live before I die.'' Last year, on February 26, Josie Grove slipped into a coma and died with her mother and father beside her. Source: Telegraph
Ultimately, I believe that every person has the right to choose between quality and quantity of their life when faced with a terminal illness. This mother made a very brave decision to allow her daughter to decide when she had had enough of the cancer treatments. I'm sure that as a parent she would have done anything to save he child's life, and it took a lot of love to understand that her daughter didn't want to suffer anymore.

It seems to me that if the child is old enough to understand that their decision to terminate treatment means that they will die, then I think they should be afforded the right to choose for themselves.

So my question for you is do you believe that 16 is old enough to decide that you are ready to die?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire